The Beginning of the End
Now that we are nearing the conclusion of our project, the decision to select which poems I'm going to integrate into the final poetry book has begun. It's similar to how an artist or band records many seconds for an album, but only select a some songs to actually put into the final album.
I knew the tone of my poetry book would be sad and bittersweet, with some inter-cut poems that oppose the over-aching theme. It's easier to write poems that invoke a sad emotion, and also there's more you can do with emotions in poetry, including working with somber poems. Throughout the course of this project, I decided to just keep writing, constantly trying to give myself a variety of poems and options to choose from. A lot of the poems I decided to write for the sake of writing are short, and although I likely wouldn't integrate a significant amount of them, there are some I could actually incorporate. A short poem which I titled Archive will serve the same purpose as an interlude does on album; it's short but also functions as a bridge from song to another. Here's the poem:

I wrote this poem with the guidance of one of my classmates and good friend Ashley - she provided the concept/metaphor of archives and storing somebody in your memories. I plan on giving her credit on this poem. Many of the poems I've written are clearly related to heartbreak experienced by myself and friends of mine. I needed material for inspiration, so I began to base some of these poems from the stories of others.
Another thing I decided to incorporate into the book are short paragraphs that serve as a sort of analysis on the most previous poem. These paragraphs aren't a direct explanation of the poem and what it means, but more as a further exploration into the meaning, without it being directly stated. These paragraphs could seen as...afterthought. I got this idea while reading a poetry book in a book store located in Capitol Hill named Elliot Bay Books. In this book, the author had paragraphs on following page which cover the meaning behind the previous paragraph.

The next step in this project is to begin to separate the poems I'm going to put in the final poetry book, and decide the order I'm going to organize them in. I want their to be a cohesiveness in the book and a flow, opposed to a sporadic randomness of how the poems are organize. To do this, I plan on reading through all the poems I have completed and identifying the best ones. I'll also look at the shorter poems and see where they can be an "interlude" and effectively bridge a cohesive flow between one poem to another. Here's one I'm definitely thinking about adding to my book:

I knew the tone of my poetry book would be sad and bittersweet, with some inter-cut poems that oppose the over-aching theme. It's easier to write poems that invoke a sad emotion, and also there's more you can do with emotions in poetry, including working with somber poems. Throughout the course of this project, I decided to just keep writing, constantly trying to give myself a variety of poems and options to choose from. A lot of the poems I decided to write for the sake of writing are short, and although I likely wouldn't integrate a significant amount of them, there are some I could actually incorporate. A short poem which I titled Archive will serve the same purpose as an interlude does on album; it's short but also functions as a bridge from song to another. Here's the poem:
I wrote this poem with the guidance of one of my classmates and good friend Ashley - she provided the concept/metaphor of archives and storing somebody in your memories. I plan on giving her credit on this poem. Many of the poems I've written are clearly related to heartbreak experienced by myself and friends of mine. I needed material for inspiration, so I began to base some of these poems from the stories of others.
Another thing I decided to incorporate into the book are short paragraphs that serve as a sort of analysis on the most previous poem. These paragraphs aren't a direct explanation of the poem and what it means, but more as a further exploration into the meaning, without it being directly stated. These paragraphs could seen as...afterthought. I got this idea while reading a poetry book in a book store located in Capitol Hill named Elliot Bay Books. In this book, the author had paragraphs on following page which cover the meaning behind the previous paragraph.
The next step in this project is to begin to separate the poems I'm going to put in the final poetry book, and decide the order I'm going to organize them in. I want their to be a cohesiveness in the book and a flow, opposed to a sporadic randomness of how the poems are organize. To do this, I plan on reading through all the poems I have completed and identifying the best ones. I'll also look at the shorter poems and see where they can be an "interlude" and effectively bridge a cohesive flow between one poem to another. Here's one I'm definitely thinking about adding to my book:
Comments
Post a Comment